Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Case of the "cheating wife that received a second chance"

Client is the husband
Subject is the wife, age 30 years old, 5'5, 135lbs, blonde hair, blue eyes.
They have three children:
Baby girl, 6 months old
Son, age 2
Girl, age 3

This case has three parts to it,
Client (husband) point of view
Me the private investigator
Subject (wife) point of view

If there was ever a case that needed my help it was this one. The client told me his story and it tugged on my heart strings, I had to take this case, I'll start from the beginning.

Husbands point of view:
One day his wife who worked for a large company somewhere in the San Francisco Bay Area, who had worked for this company for five years was one of many female clerical office support personnel. The dynamics of the office, there were three groups of people; the in crowd (twenty somethings), Nerds, and the wallflowers. The wallflowers were the people who work day in and day out, do their job, and go home, unnoticed. She was a wallflower, she didn't care because she had her family to go home to every day and they needed her.

One day the subject didn't have anything to where because she didn't do the laundry. She went to her closet and couldn't find anything to where. The clothes she wore are normal office wear, plain skirt and top, the usual clothes that she has worn for the past five years. On this day she found a piece of clothing she forgot about and had worn to a special occasion years ago. She thought it's not really the clothing I should wear to the office, but that's all she had to wear. She felt uncomfortable driving to work with this on and wondered how she would be received as wearing something like this. This is something you would see on one of the in crowd ladies, not me. She arrived at work as usual, but she noticed something was different, people were staring at her. She knew that would happen and didn't think twice about it again. A few hours later, several of the in crowd people approached her and introduced themselves to her. They invited her to go drinking with them after work, she said thank you but I have a family and I don't go anywhere but home. The rest of the day went very fast for her, wearing her new clothing and a new outlook on her job. On her way home, she really enjoyed the new found attention she received by wearing new clothing, this really boosted her self esteem. When she arrived home she told her husband all about the events of the day, she said it was a great day today.

The next morning, she wanted that feeling again at work so she found more of the same type of clothing she wore yesterday. She received the same response at work and again she was approached by the in crowd to join them for drinks at a nearby bar. She turned them down, on her way home she really liked the new me and decided this was the way she was going to dress from this day forward.

Over the next ten days, everyday she was asked to join the in crowd for some drinks and she always said no, until today. Toward the end of the day she was asked again to join the in crowd at a local bar for some drinks and she told them, only for an hour, then I must go home. This was the beginning of her downward spin into destruction. Over the next month she was now coming home 1, 2, 3 o'clock in the morning. Her husband the client was now raising there small children by himself. She changed and it wasn't for the good.

He had a feeling something was going to happen, I think she is having an affair with another man. On this one Friday, she told him on her way to work that she was going to spend the night with a girl friend in the city and not to waite up for her, he knew. He asked me to help him and follow her. I agreed to take the case and to follow her into San Francisco after she gets off work.

Case begins:
4:00 pm I arrived at the subjects work and sat on her vehicle. She gets off work at 5:00 pm, he said she is a slow driver. The subject exited her office building and walked over to her vehicle. She entered and drove off out of the area alone. She drove onto HWY880 north toward Oakland. She crossed the Bay Bridge and into San Francisco. San Francisco is the worst city to tail someone in because of all the short blocks and one way streets.
6:30 pm the subject drove to a intersection off Geary Blvd, parked her vehicle. I had to ditch my vehicle, I needed to find out where she was going to. The subject walked to a restaurant/bar type of restaurant. The subject walked in and I followed on foot. The subject was seen at the podium and confirmed her reservation. The subject then exited the restaurant and stood outside as if she was waiting for someone. I stayed inside, I needed to know the layout of the restaurant. The exit doors, the kitchen area, the table setting, pictures on the wall if they had glass or plastic. If you sit in the right position you can use the reflection off the glass to see the subject. 7:15 pm a male approached her, they embraced and walked into the restaurant and sat down on the chairs in the waiting area.
8:00 pm, the subjects name was called and they were seated next to a window, which is good for me, I can observe from the outside if I needed to. Once I saw where the subject was seated, I seated myself several tables away. First rule in a surveillance, NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE SUBJECT. Use reflections off pictures, the glass on your table, even silverware, anything that will give you a reflection you can use to watch the subject. I positioned myself at a table at the bar and had line of sight on the subject. The covert device I used was a video camera inside of a cell phone. Tiny hole on the edge of the phone, so you can lay it flat on the table and capture video without holding it up like most cell phone cameras. Subject is observed sitting very close to her friend, at times very intimate.

9:00 pm I was watching the subject in my glass on my table when for what ever reason I didn't know, I looked at the subject and at that exact moment, she looked directly at me. We made eye contact, breaking the number one rule of surveillance. I knew at that time I had compromised the surveillance, so I got up and exited the restaurant. I could not believe I did what I did, I NEVER do that. I didn't know what got into me. I went to my vehicle which I ditched and was lucky it wasn't towed. I positioned my vehicle across the street, but something told me to position myself on the opposite corner and I have direct eye sight of the front door, The only bad thing is that I am directly under a street light which is lighting me up, like I am glowing, but it was the best position to have at that time. I can't see the subject but that's okay, it's where they go after dinner is more important than watching them eat.

1:00 am, the lights go off inside the restaurant and the subject and male friend exited and stand on the corner just outside the front door. I was looking down at my floor trying to grab my video camera, as I brought my camera up, I looked at the subject, and again we made direct eye contract. I couldn't believe it, two times in one night. What happen next I can't explain, I observed the subject flipping out, waving her hands in the air and yelling at her male friend. She then runs to her vehicle and lays rubber as she speeds away. I turn my car on and pursue the subject, she is running red lights and stop signs with speed up to 60 MPH in the city of San Francisco at 1:00 am. Shes running red lights, I am right behind her running red lights. The next thing I know the male friend is on my tail chasing me. The three of us are now all running red lights and stop signs. At Van Ness and Market, the subject and myself run a red light but the male friend was stopped by other vehicles so we lost him. I followed the subject onto HWY101 south bound and she was traveling close to 90 MPH. I pulled back and decided not to peruse at that speed. I didn't want to be responsible if she would have crashed her vehicle. She was heading in the direction of her home anyway. On the drive home I reflected on the events of the evening. I needed to call the client in the morning, but really didn't know what to tell him.

Next morning I woke up at 6:00 am and started to write my report of last night when my phone rang. It was the client, I didn't know what to tell him when I heard crying on the phone, I didn't say a word. He said subbing as he spoke, I don't know what happen last night, but thank you. I didn't say anything, sometimes the best thing to say is nothing. The wife got on the phone and she began to cry.

Wife's point of view:
She said, let me tell you my story. We heard the first part about work and the in crowd and the bars. What she said next I didn't expect. She said, she had no intention of going home last night. She saw me at the bar last night and thought it was weird that someone was staring at me. At 1:00 am I exited the restaurant with my new boy friend and stood on the corner. As I stood on that corner I looked across the street and saw you sitting in your car and you were all light up. At that time my life flashed before my eyes, why it happen I can't explain it. I saw the birth of my children, my wedding, my home, and I thought you were an angel sent from heaven. I saw all the wrong choices I've made in the past few months and I felt I was getting a second chance. At that time I started waving my arms yelling at my male friend and said goodbye, I told him I can't do this. I love my babies. I love my husband and I am going home. At that time she said she couldn't remember much of anything past that point, all she wanted to do is get home as fast as she could. Red lights, stop signs, nothing was going to get in my way of coming home. She said all she wanted to do was to kiss her babies and hold them tightly in her arms and asked for there forgiveness. The hardest was asking forgiveness of my husband. Thank you for being the angel I needed at that time.

I said your welcome, I'll send you my bill. It was the first time I helped bring back together a broken family, It felt really good.

Case Closed.

4 comments:

  1. that story had a real good ending for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing what can happen when God puts you in the right place at the right time...then He allows you to learn about it after the fact! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Story. It would be nice if more ended up that way.

    ReplyDelete