Thursday, August 19, 2010

Case of the "Bad back at the driving range"

Subject is a male, age 40, 5'10, 170lbs, brown hair, green eyes.
Injury: injured neck and lower back
Claiming: he can't work because of the pain in his back. He stays home with ice on his back.

Somewhere in the Monterey Area

6:00 am I arrived at the subjects residence, single family ranch style dwelling, tan with brown trim. Yard is nest, in a middle class neighborhood. Subject's vehicle is parked in the driveway. Curtains are closed, no lights are on, no sign of any activity.

9:50 am Subject exits the front door and walks over to his vehicle. Subject appears to walk in a normal manner without any visible difficulty. Then he walks over to his garage door, bending at the waist, with one shift motion he opens the garage door lifting the garage door above his head with both arms high above his head. He walks into the garage and picks up what looks like golf clubs. He carries the golf clubs in his right hand as he walks in back of his vehicle. Subject opens the trunk and places the golf clubs inside, closing the trunk, then walks over to the drivers side door, he enters the vehicle and drives off out of the area.

10:15 am Subject drove to a golf driving range located somewhere in the Monterey Bay Area. Subject exits and walks to the rear of his vehicle. He unlocks the trunk, opens the lid and bends at the waist as he reaches inside to pick up what I believe to be the golf clubs, the same clubs he placed in his trunk at his residence. Subject walked inside the office area of the driving range with his golf clubs in his right hand. I exit my vehicle and take my video camera and a large duffel bag. I pursue on foot and observe the subject at the desk and over hear the subject purchasing a bucket of golf balls. Subject exits the office and walks upstairs where there are open stalls. This coarse has a upper and lower deck for driving. I walk into the office and purchase a bucket of balls myself and a driver and walk upstairs with camera in my hand, then placing the camera in my bag. I position myself right next to the subject. I put my bucket of balls on the ground, then open my bag and turn on the camera to record, aiming the lens at the subject. Everything the subject does will be recorded. As I start to drive my balls, the subject started talking to me, now I have to be very careful here and not to bait the subject in any way, as long as I keep the conversation to nice day, how long have you been golfing, NOT, hey let me see you hit the 350 mark out there or I dropped may ball can you throw it to me, that's baiting.

Over the next hour, video was taken of the subject, bending to the ground, extreme motions of twisting right to left, using his neck and twisting it. Subject did everything he said he couldn't do.

11:30 am Subject exited the driving range and drove off out of the area.

11:45 am Subject drove back to his residence.

12:00 pm I discontinued surveillance due to the fact that I had gathered enough evidence to disprove his case.


CASE CLOSED

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim: Maybe you can explain why "baiting" is bad. How does it compromise the case?
    Also do you have the resolution of the case? Was he charged with fraud, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are just too much. Whatever happened to "honesty"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baiting means you interfere with the subject by placing something in there why and an idea to do something.

    ReplyDelete